Load Balancer Types9100 2018-07-23 11:54
Generally speaking, load balancers fall into three categories:
- DNS Round Robin (rarely used): clients get a randomly-ordered list of IP addresses.
- pros: easy to implement and free
- cons: hard to control and not responsive, since DNS cache needs time to expire
- Network (L3/L4) Load Balancer: traffic is routed by IP address and ports.L3 is network layer (IP). L4 is session layer (TCP).
- pros: better granularity, simple, responsive
- Application (L7) Load Balancer: traffic is routed by what is inside the HTTP protocol. L7 is application layer (HTTP).
If you find this article helpful