Why mentors cannot help with your promotion?3260 2018-09-10 23:15
Research found that
- Successful Caucasian men receive more career guidance than women and multicultural professionals.
- More women have mentors than men, but fewer women win promotions.
Why? Mentors cannot help with promotions but sponsors can.
A sponsor is
- Investor and Beneficiary. A sponsor is a senior level staff member invested in a protégé’s career success.
- Direct influencer of your promotion. Sponsors promote protégés directly, using their influence and networks to connect them to high-profile assignments, people, pay increases and promotions.
- Resource-sharer. Sponsors give protégés their active network connections and make new connections for them.
- Amplifier. Sponsors champion their protégés visibility, often using their own platforms and reputation as a medium for exposure.
- who makes pay, promotion or project assignment decisions that affect you/your employee?
- which senior leaders could benefit from you/your employee’s career advancement?
- which senior leader has a network or platform most equipped to help you/your employee advance in their career?
If you find this article helpful